windbg.info
Home Search
 You are here: arrow Home Forum

Search Our Site

www.windbg.info
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Using WinDbg to examine ASP.NET applications
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Using WinDbg to examine ASP.NET applications
Will Steele (User)
User Offline

Another Computer Blog
Using WinDbg to examine ASP.NET applications 10 Feb 2010 - 23:49
I am trying to really study ASP.NET from a variety of levels. I am trying to answer some simple questions, such as, how can I tell how much memory an application uses upon instantiation? How can I tell where (and how much) data is cached? I just need a starting point to look at this from the WinDbg side of things. Once I get an idea of how to get into the relevant process I can go from there. I tried attaching to the appropriate .exe but couldn't cross-reference the worker processes that were user to handle the request. Thanks for the help.

Logged IP
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Robert Kuster (Visitor)
User Offline

Gender: Male www.rkuster.com Location: Slovenia, Europe Birthday: 31 Jan 1978
Re:Using WinDbg to examine ASP.NET applications 18 Feb 2010 - 16:17
Will, Hi.

The worker process for ASP.NET applications is aspnet_wp.exe which internally heavily relies on mscorwks.dll.

TODOs:
  • Attach WinDbg to aspnet_wp.exe
  • load SOS or SOSEX and examine the process in almost the same way you would any other .NET application

For instance you could use the following WinDbg commands after a successful attach:
> .loadby sos mscorwks
> !eeheap -gc

> ...

Also check out:
  • Production Debugging for .NET Framework Applications. You can download the PDF here. It is a must read for any serious IIS and ASP.NET debugging.
  • IISDebugTools: Among others it contains the iisdbg.dll WinDbg extension which helps to extract additional information from IIS (inteinfo.exe).
  • ADPlus: If often is an invaluable help while troubleshooting IIS or its worker processes.

I hope this helps,
Robert

Thinking debugging? Think www.windbg.info.

Logged IP
Will Steele (User)
User Offline

Another Computer Blog
Re:Using WinDbg to examine ASP.NET applications 18 Feb 2010 - 16:43
Awesome. Thanks for the pointers and the link to the PDF. I had not even seen that one yet. Looking forward to working with it. Again, much appreciated.

Logged IP
Go to top
  up top of page up  

Copyright © 2024 WinDbg.info. All Rights Reserved.
Page generated in 0.0006 seconds.